Here are a few tips to protect yourself from fraud.
Only use Western Union for sending money to friends and family. You should NOT proceed with your transaction if it’s:
• for an emergency situation you have not personally confirmed
• to someone you personally don’t know or have met online
• for an internet purchase
• for an employment opportunity
• to claim lottery or prize winnings
• for a rental property
• for a credit card or loan fee
• from a check deposited in your account until it clears which can take weeks
Remember, a money transfer can be paid out to the receiver within a short time and after the money is paid, you cannot obtain a refund from Western Union, even if the transfer was the result of fraud.